[Marxism] a question I can't answer: Why do European capitalists prefer stagnation?

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 12 08:52:57 MDT 2009

The determining factor in these issues is profitability.  The bourgeoisie
could care less about the ability of the workers to consume product-- what
they care about is the rate of profitability in realization of the
profitability appropriated in production.   After that what they care about,
in both US and EU or anywhere is preserving power, the power of private
property.

So... I don't really think it is accurate to say that European capitalists
prefer stagnation- if we are defining stagnation and growth along US/UK
Reagan/Thatcher pseudo-monetarist standards. US growth reates during the 80s
were below that of the 1970s-- the era of "stagflation," much less the 60s.
And I think the growth rate in the 90s was still below that of the 70s.

Just as a small example-- France's real productivity growth in manufacturing
during the 90s absolutely matched that of the US during the US "productivity
boon" of the 1990s-- the US however benefited from its ability to compel
more hours from more workers.

If the first concern allows the bourgeoisie to be more "magnanimous" in
realizing the second concern-- that's OK for the bourgeoisie.  In and after
the recession of 2001 that margin for "generosity"  was reduced-- thus the
creation of tiers in the labor market, an underclass, somewhat parallel to
what took place in Japan in the long recession, increased use of
undocumented, unprotected workers, particularly in agriculture and
construction, the attack on wages in general, increased export of capital
and not just to Asia,  but following the recovery of 2003 to Russia and
Eastern Europe  [think amounts exported to Russia and EE exceeded amounts to
China for the first time in 2006(?)].

Not all of these efforts were successful-- Chirac, again using France, got
his ass handed to him, more or less, when he took on the SNCF workers-- but
again these matters are driven by conditions for profit and its realization,
and the relative strength of the opposing classes, not a preference for
"stagnation"  as "stagnation" hardly describes the European performance or
policies then or now.

As for EU members being unwilling to increase domestic spending-- again some
members have, some haven't, depending on their individual circumstances.
France has, triggering a storm in the EU, by subsidizing only national
operations of automakers , and with national requirements of its domestic
automakers for employment.

 Ireland however, given its precarious financial situation, has recently
flipped from spending to austerity.

And.... there is little evidence that expansionary domestic spending by the
government will do anything to prevent the continued contraction of the
economy when that contraction is based on declining profitability, on the
overproduction of the means of production of capital.

Of course there are those who don't thing overproduction of the MOP as
capital is the source of the present predicament-- that this is a problem of
fictitious capital, or global imbalance, etc., but that's a horse of a whole
different color.......