[Marxism] Hitchens reviews Wheen's bio of Karl Marx

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 12 12:06:49 MDT 2009

Lou's point is taken, but nevertheless this is an article well worth reading
and not simply for the (possibly aprocryphal > store from Huy Weldon with
which it begins), but also its recommendation of two books, namely

1.  Rudolph Bahro; The Alternative in Eastern Europe, a translatio of which
by David Frnvach was published by New Left Review Editions in 1978 - my
well-read copy was bought in April 1979, and has been read with much
advantage, several times, the last only during last year.

and

2. Robert Tressall's Ragged Trousered Philanthropist - which gives the most
lucid popular explanation of the extraction of surplus value to be found
anywhere.  BBC Radio produced a  rather insipid 3-part dramatisation last
year (or was it the year before), which MAY have encouraged some to read the
book.

I am quite surprised that the name hitchens in the URL did not lead me to
just press the delete button, but I am glad I read it and found something to
comment on......

Paddy
http://apling.freeservers.com