[Marxism] The Prophet Misarmed: Trotsky, Ecology and Sustainability

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Mar 13 09:24:24 MDT 2009

Shane Mage wrote:
> Sandy Irvine accuses Marx, Engels, Lenin and Trotsky of "cornucopism"
> and (anachronistically) of failing to anticipate such consequences of
> capitalist development as the destruction of the Aral Sea.

I haven't had a chance to read Irvine's article yet but I must take
exception to lumping the others in with Trotsky, who *did* err on the
side of technological optimism. Just look at his musings on eugenics in
"If America should go communist":

"While the romantic numskulls of Nazi Germany are dreaming of restoring
the old race of Europe’s Dark Forest to its original purity, or rather
its original filth, you Americans, after taking a firm grip on your
economic machinery and your culture, will apply genuine scientific
methods to the problem of eugenics. Within a century, out of your
melting pot of races there will come a new breed of men – the first
worthy of the name of Man."