[Marxism] The Prophet Misarmed: Trotsky, Ecology and Sustainability

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Sat Mar 14 18:00:35 MDT 2009

Sorry for the confusion.

The sentence in question is from this paragraph:

"Humanity has no spontaneous craving for mayonnaise, coffee, ice cream or
90% of the commodity form of foodstuff. We are not offered food as an
abstraction but rather "the commodity form of foodstuff." Coffee does not just  "come
into existence" as an abstract product, but rather as a commodity to  intensify
the exploitation of labor." <<

I acknowledge the confusion and slipshodness in the fist sentence and  agree
that spontaneous should be replaced with the word "innate." Further, the  word
humanity should be replaced with "biological man/women".

The whole paragraph can be rewritten to read:

"Biological man/women - as a metabolic process, has no innate or  spontaneous
craving for mayonnaise, coffee, ice cream or 90% of the commodity  form of
foodstuff offered by the bourgeois power. Further, as a metabolic  process our
species innate need as craving is for water, nitrates, and  substances found
primarily in fruits (“organic molecules“) or properties that  have been
transmigrated by vegetation, i.e.,  “moved” from the inorganic to  the organic.
Coffee does not just "come into existence" as an abstract product,  but rather as
a commodity to intensify the exploitation of labor. The bourgeois  commodity
form of foodstuff is not sustainable."

Sorry for the confusion.

Will try harder and more thoughtful.

WL.

In a message dated 3/14/2009 6:09:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,