[Marxism] Newspapers and the Internet

Joonas Laine jjonas at nic.fi
Sun Mar 15 05:27:43 MDT 2009

Louis Proyect wrote:
> The big news today is that the Washington Post is dropping their
> business section. Meanwhile, there's been a ton of articles in the last
> week or so about newspapers going out of business. Some cities that have
> only one paper will have none in the future. Denver's Rocky Mountain
> News is an example. This paper which hounded Ward Churchill out of a job
> is now out of a business. Poetic justice.
>
> Who knows what the future will have in store, but I guarantee you that
> the Internet will fill the vacuum. Here's an example of what a new
> information medium will look like. It is a comment by a Dutchman on the

One thing relating to the topic of newspapers and the internet came up
when me and a comrade were planning youth activities of our trade union
branch. The finnish Left League newspaper, at present three times a week
plus a thicker weekend paper, is about to be terminated next autumn.
What will remain is a boosted weekend edition with daily updates on the
internet. (Left League is a left social-democratic party, in case
someone wants to know.)

It's great of course that the Left League paper finally makes it to the
internet as well; they used to have a website that was like from the mid
90s or something. But giving up "dead tree publications" isn't
exclusively a great thing, because I think a dead tree paper could have
a dynamic the internet can't, or at least doesn't at present (and I'm
not sure how it can). I'm not talking about selling your group's paper
in the street, hand to hand. What you can do is take a  dead tree paper
to your workplace and throw it on the lunch room table, where at least
some people will read it when they've finished with the evening tabloids
someone else has brought in. It's also a good means to start some
political discussion with your workmates, "did you read that thing
there" etc.

With internet publications people have to find their own way to it, and
even if they all read what they used to read in the paper on the lunch
room table, they'll do it atomised, everyone on their own computer at home.