[Marxism] As long as the British remain there will be some kind of IRA

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 01:18:56 MDT 2009

Bhaskar:

And as long as there is no mass base to support them they have no hope  of
winning. Their violence can only cause a return of loyalist  paramilitary
troops and British soldiers

Reply:

There was no mass support for the 1916 Easter Rising, and in fact those  that
took part and surrendered were openly abused and spat on by Dubliners as
they were being led off to jail by the British. Four years later a popular
insurrection had spread throughout Ireland which brought the British to the
negotiating table and led to the formation of the Republic.

As for their violence begetting more violence, don't you understand that
this is exactly what they understand will happen themselves. Their actions are
designed to produce a reaction that will result in a return to the war. Action
can precede consciousness.

Bhaskar writes:

I don't have much sympathy for these
groups or those that herald them  from the comfort of their own homes.
Undoubtedly there will be many though  that will continue to mourn martyrs
of a cause they know in their hearts is  absolutely futile and
counterproductive.

Reply:

My ire in such matters is directed at the root cause, namely imperialism  and
colonialism. I've never encountered or studied myself any resistance
movement that was clean and pure or that followed a clean and pure path. As  for
heralding them, this is a Marxist discussion list. We're hopefully concerned  with
discussion and analysing such events and those involved free of the crap
that passes as news information and analysis in our respective countries. The
article I posted was carried in The Observer, a well regarded Sunday newspaper
in the UK. In it a well known and longstanding member of the Republican
movement  was interviewed over recent events, and I thought made some serious points
about  the failings of the so-called peace process in Ireland. I would hope
that people  would read his comments, as someone involved in the struggle his
entire length,  who isn't an armchair revolutionary, and give them proper
consideration.