[Marxism] The IRA and armed struggle

J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 09:22:07 MDT 2009

I think I don't believe them to be 'dissident
republicans'; I think I believe them to be people for whom
demanding loyalty/money with a gun has become habit over a
long time. The habit of power is, after all, hard to give
up and why should you go back to/start being 'ordinary'
when life was so much more exciting when you could get
what you wanted by simply demanding it at the point of a
gun? Who wants to work for a living, after all, when you
can simply pretend that you're 'committed to the armed
struggle' and steal what you want?

A friend of mine (Pete) told me some interesting stuff
about his two tours of Northern Ireland with 4/5 Commando,
particularly that despite all the fierce, hate-ridden
rhetoric, it was remarkable how civil and efficient the
various factions on both sides were, amongst thesmelves
and across the religious divide, when it came to dividing
up cities for 'protection' purposes, and who would control
the supply of which drugs where...
--
Dr Jon Cloke
Project Officer EnergyCentral and Research Associate

E-mail: j.m.p.cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Tel: 00 44 07984 813681