[Marxism] As long as the British remain there will be some kindof IRA

J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 09:46:45 MDT 2009

I don’t think that I suggested avoidance of questioning
acceptance of the existing state of affairs (although I am
kind of interested in the knee-jerk ferocity which the use
of the word morality attracts amongst you guys..). If an
ethics of Marxist politics is as you say, analytical of
the content of social struggles then surely it says
something about the rights and wrongs of shooting
pizza-guys? And just because Badiou says ethics don’t
exist, don’t make it so

I didn’t squeak at what you said because of any inherent
justification of ‘freedom fighter/terrorist’ dichotomy
either – we all know what bollocks such words are,
particularly the use of the word ‘terrorist’. It is,
equally, not acceptable to just go and shoot someone out
of a personally-selected sense of injustice, which after
all is what keeps happening at schools and workplaces
throughout the US. So what I want to know is, are you
really suggesting that one person or a small group of
people dressing an act of murder in the clothing of
historical oppression is enough for it to become what they
say it is? Are you obliged to assess all such acts through
such an ideological prism and blame them all on
imperialist capitalism?
(By the way, is it the Dr thing or the being English thing
that’s freaking you out most? Because you really, really
need to be adjusting your stereotypes
)
--
Dr Jon Cloke
Project Officer EnergyCentral and Research Associate

E-mail: j.m.p.cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Tel: 00 44 07984 813681