[Marxism] As long as the British remain there will be an IRA

Mehmet Cagatay mehmetcagatayaydin at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 15:17:48 MDT 2009

Last night I received exactly the same e-mail from the gentleman named Duen De. Since I'm accustomed to come up against similar sort of reactions when I discuss the Kurdish question with fellow Turks who possess at least a minimum degree of nationalist sentiments, I decided to simple ignore him because the experience has showed me that it is tough to discourage these people from the self-assured frozen image of the ideological inexistence of history. The source of the difficulty is this Althusserian inexistence itself (ideology has no history) underlies the constitution of the suitable subject for the ruling ideology. For instance, concerning the recent debate on IRA terror, it is a challenging task for us to explain that the term terrorism which originally designates a particular form of violence exercised by those who control the State power has been transformed by the State into a signifier that indicates any violent form of political struggle against
 the State. Therefore, starting from the officially established propagandistic relationship between the words terrorism, terrorist and the reality of political struggles only leads us to compromise with the existing order.

mç.