[Marxism] As long as the British remain there will be some kind of IRA

John Obrien causecollector at msn.com
Tue Mar 17 21:07:58 MDT 2009

 I agree we should not challenge the PhD, or the nation the person is from. But we can challenge the position of privilege of a person in the occupier nation, telling those who are occupied, how to behave and conform to being nice!

We should also be able to challenge those who do not understand that in a war there is going to be people hurt - and that sometimes it is people (like pizza delivery people) who were bystanders and who were clearly not the main targets.

But if the Irish resistance is to use force (and I hope that comrade Cloke is not challenging their right to ever do so, but only the timing) then those who support and end to British imperialism and colonialism should direct their concern to the British government's (military and non-military) continuing occupation of Ireland (and I might add Scotland and Wales too!)

The British government has always placed the blame on the violence, not being from them - but from those resisting.

The current colonial and occupation situation of Ireland may be acceptable to many, but I assume those on this list would not object strongly if what emerges in Ireland is a large resistance movement to the occupation.

If comrade Cloke or others who share the same concerns about violence have another method and have been successful with their personal efforts to remove Britain from Ireland - I would welcome reading about this. I suspect few of these, concerned about the IRA violence, have done anything concrete to stop the British occupation and violence, but again I am excited to read what they have done and to correct my wrong impressions, on there doing nothing in regards to British colonial occupation.

So I await intently - to hear those ideas and actions - on this St. Patricks Day!