[Marxism] U.S.: "Our fingers were crossed on Palestine aid"

John johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 18 02:39:23 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 22:28 -0400, Shane Mage wrote:

>> But it would give Hamas, were it a responsible Palestinian political
>> movement and not a sectarian Islamist group, the chance to seize and
>> keep the political high ground. Here's how:
>>
>> The Palestinian Unity Government would issue this declaration--
>>
>> --We recognize the right of Israel to exist within its
>> internationally
>> recognized boundaries** conformably to international law and all
>> applicable UN resolutions.
>>
>> --We renounce violence as specified in the UN Charter but retain the
>> right, specified in that charter, of armed self-defense against
>> foreign incursion,
>> attack, or occupation.
>>
>> --We adhere to all Israel/Palestine agreements in the firm
>> expectation
>> that Israel will immediately undo all its past violations of those
>> agreements.
>>
>> **(thus leaving open for negotiation whether those internationally
>> recognized boundaries are those of the 1947 UN decision or the de
>> facto 1967 boundaries.)
>
> But this would be a complete capitulation to the 2 state travesty. It
> would never bring a real resolution to the issue. Where would it leave
> Palestinian right of return, regardless of whether the borders were
> the
> '47 or '67 ones.

The "right of return" is declared in the UN resolutions referred to.
And to reject a "two state travesty," with the Zionists holding to
their colonies with tooth and claw, is to postpone the right of the
Palestinians to govern themselves to the coming of Mesiach

But what you're suggesting is that Hamas "seize and keep the political
high ground" by either a) lying to their supporters and everyone else,
or b) giving up their claim to fight for one Palestine.

Either would be hugely demoralising for their supporters and allies, who
are not all Islamists anyway and are joining with Hamas simply because
they are the ones who are resisting. The PFLP are fighting alongside
Hamas because Hamas continue to resist. They might as well just join
Fatah if they're going to do what you suggest. Hamas is a force not
because of their Islamism per se but *because* Fatah have made those
very concessions.
Cheers,
John