[Marxism] After Gaza, Israel Grapples With Crisis of Isolation

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 10:59:26 MDT 2009

There is no doubt that a turning point has been reached in terms of mass
consciousness when it comes to Israel as a result of the Gaza offensive. In the
UK mass demonstrations of a size and anger that was unprecedented when it came
 to the issue of Palestine took place, with even Stop the War, with whom I
recall  just a few years ago having to fight just to get the word Palestine on
antiwar  leaflets, coming on board.

The words Israel and pariah state are now inextricably linked, and  certainly
the scales have fallen from the eyes of most people here in Europe as  to the
justice of the Palestinian cause. As ever, though, it is US public  opinion
that really counts vis-a-vis Israel, so I'd be interested  to know from some of
the US comrades how Israel is commonly perceived  over there now. I remember
taking part in pro-Palestinian demos and rallies  in LA a few years back and
meeting with far more hostility than support or  sympathy, whereas here in
Edinburgh, during the Gaza crisis, people were  literally clutching the leaflets
out of our hands in the street and lining  up to sign our petitions.

Clearly, despite the best efforts of the Israeli propaganda machine, the
mask has slipped. Now, at meetings, there is hardly any argument over whether or
not a boycott campaign against Israel is the way ahead. The question people
are asking now is not if but how.