[Marxism] San Francisco Anarchist Statement Supporting Attack on Revolutionary Communist Party at Book Fair

David Thorstad binesi at gvtel.com
Thu Mar 19 11:24:49 MDT 2009

This is outrageous. Pseudoanarchist bullshit, for sure. The e-mail
address is for the anarchist news service that publicized this statement.
   I never thought I'd feel support for RCP, but the anarchist assault
on its freedom of speech, as well as the pathetic attempt at justifying
it, are repugnant. Why don't these anarchists fight ideas with ideas?
The RCP's predecessor group, the Revolutionary Union, took the most
retrograde position against homosexuality and gay lib, and in New York
RU people at least once physically attacked gay activists while I was
living there, but the BB! police action is reprehensible. A few years
ago, the RCP made a (halfhearted and inadequate) self-criticism of its
previous hostility to homosexuality. These days, the RCP's position on
homosexuality and gay lib is pure liberalism, no different from that of
the Demcorat Party or most other left groups, including the Communist
Party, in its support for same-sex marriage and "GLBT" rights.
   The Minnesota IWW (pseudoanarchists) asked me a couple of years ago
to remove them from my list because of my opposition to gay marriage.
   At one time, an anarchist member of Nambla undertook to deliver the
group's publications to bookstores, but it turned out he was stealing
the proceeds. His rationale was that as an anarchist who rejected
authority he had a right to keep the money, apparently because all
organizations are bad, even the one that had helped him when he and his
boyfriend were arrested and manhandled by New York police.
   My late anarchist friend Daniel Guérin once told me that American
anarchists generally had a primitive concept of anarchism. IT looks like
he was right.
David