[Marxism] Saint Bono

J Rothermel jayroth6 at cox.net
Thu Mar 19 23:19:15 MDT 2009

http://counterpunch.org/marsh03192009.html

March 19, 2009

  /*Big Scar on the Horizon */

  *Sir Bono: the Knight Who Fled From His Own Debate *

By DAVE MARSH

As CounterPunch and Rock and Rap Confidential <http://www.rockrap.com/>
disclosed in September, last May U2’s Bono confronted Irish journalist
Gavin Martin and myself in the lobby of Dublin’s Merion Hotel. He asked
what I’d been working on. I said “the premise that celebrity politics
has been a pretty much complete failure.” Bono replied that he wanted to
debate the topic in public. He reiterated the challenge the next
evening. The witnesses included U2’s manager Paul McGuinness and my
wife, Barbara Carr, among others.

I made sure that Sirius Satellite Radio, which was to broadcast the
debate, knew about Bono’s invitation. By mid-June, U2’s New York office
confirmed the plan, asking only that it be delayed until U2 finished
recording its next album. I kept it public via RRC and my Sirius show,
Kick Out the Jams.

In November, U2 manager Paul McGuinness rang me. After some brief
personal palaver—I like Paul even though I know he’s alluded to me as a
“Trotskyist” behind my back—McGuinness sheepishly said “Bono has asked
me to ask you if he can withdraw” from the debate.

I said “Sure.” McGuinness expressed gratitude that I was taking it so well.

“Of course,” I added, “this was a public challenge. Backing out’s not
gonna be private.” I did not ask why Bono ducked the debate. Maybe he’d
come to his senses, as his apologetics for world capitalism
disintegrated with the stock, housing and employment markets. Maybe he
was too busy preparing the banalities he’d blare on the new album.

In the wake of the New Depression generated by Bono’s tutors in world
finance, it’s hardly necessary to issue a point by point refutation of
his statements about how the world works,. Based on Bono’s response to
criticism of U2’s tax avoidance, he plans to carry to the grave the
ardently stupid globalization orthodoxy of Forbes, the Wall Street
cheerleading rag he co-owns. Can there be anyone else who’s ventured a
deep thought in the last several months who still believes that the only
path to change involves bending the knee to the powerful?

As for the lyrics, don’t jump to the wrong conclusion. It can’t be
denied that Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and the Edge can still make
fascinating music. Bono’s yelped vocals are another matter, his hollow
lyrics--where every platitude yields to an obscurantist pretension and
back again--yet another. Unfortunately, even if he’d come up with a
lyric as great as “One,” Bono also carries into each project his
off-stage political pronouncements, and his fawning affiliations with
war criminals such as Tony Blair and George W. Bush.

I don’t know why Bono spit the bit on debating these issues in a public
forum with a well-informed antagonist. Maybe he decided that he’d fucked
up and was about to lower himself by going head to head with a
journalist. Maybe he doesn’t want to deal on the spot with descriptions
of his repeated appearances at the conferences of the leading capitalist
nations where he’s yet to ask his first hard question about anything but
Africa; about his settling for promises from world leaders that patently
weren’t going to be kept, and never doing more than mewing when they
weren’t; about why it is that Zambian economist Dambisa Moyo, by no
means an anti-capitalist, observes that she met him “at a party to raise
money for Africans, and there were no Africans in the room, except for
me,” or why so many other Africans have complained that he claims to
speak for them but has never so much as asked their permission. In
regard to the last, I did receive more courtesy than Andrew Mwenda, the
Ugandan journalist Bono cursed for raising such questions at an
economics conference. (But then, I’m white and Celtic-American.)

It certainly isn’t my fault that I have to say “maybe” about all of
this. Bono never got back to me, or had any of his handlers get back to
me, about the ground rules for our projected “debate”--his term, not
mine. I’d have settled for an honest interview although “debate” would
have been more fun, even though the result was inevitable. No matter how
many people sided with my being able to see through the kind of thing
William Burroughs once poetically dubbed “a thin tissue of horseshit” it
wouldn’t be enough to outweigh Big Time Pop Star status.

I don’t know. More to the point, you can’t know either.

U2 could be in a fair amount of trouble. The band is old by rock
standards, and on the cover of Rolling Stone Bono looked much older than
the rest because of a physical makeover that tries to deny it. No Line’s
first single flopped on the radio. The band’s decision to have its song
publishing company flee Ireland for a tax haven in the Netherlands has
been subject to protests in the streets of Dublin and has no obvious
justification, despite Bono’s fatuous counterclaim that it is his
critics who are the hypocrites because free-market values were what
created the “Celtic Tiger” of Dublin’s capitalist boom economy. The
Tiger’s death throes look to be particularly messy, in part because of
capital flight of just U2’s kind. The band’s attempt to alter the Dublin
skyline with its Clarence Hotel expansion is another example of its
ruinous distance from everyday Irish reality.

Bono’s self-promotion fares much better on this side of the Atlantic
than at home. For instance, he got away scot-free in the American press
after declaring during the Inauguration Concert, “What a thrill for four
Irish boys from the north side of Dublin to honor you sir, Barack Obama,
to be the next president of the United States.” But Shane Hegarty wrote
in The Irish Times that only one of the band now lives on Dublin’s
working class north side while Bono has lived more of his life on the
south side.

“During the band's performance of ‘In The Name of Love,’” wrote Hegarty,
“he described Martin Luther King's dream as ‘Not just an American
dream--also an Irish dream, a European dream, an African dream, an
Israeli dream . . .’ And then, following a long pause reminiscent of a
man who'd just realized he'd left the gas on, he added, ‘. . . and also
a Palestinian dream.’ This was his big shout out to the Palestinians…
You can't help but marvel at this latest expression of Bono's Sesame
Street view of the world. Hey Middle East, we just have to have a dream
to get along.

“Just ignore the sound of those loud explosions and concentrate on
Bono's voice.”

So listen, Bono, if you decide to suck it up and face me, I’m still
available. I can’t win a debate, we both know that, and why you’d want
to continue to look feeble and cowardly when you have virtually nothing
to lose… well, that’s another question I suppose you’ll never be asked.

It doesn’t mean that those questions are going to go away. Maybe for the
tamed tigers of the American pop press, but not for me, or for those
people in the streets of Dublin calling you a tax cheat, or for the
Africans who feel insulted by your ignorance of their lives, or for that
matter, the fans who wonder why you insist on siding continually, if
slyly, with the powerful against the powerless.

MAN O’ WAR

In 2005, the annual Man of Peace award was given to Bob Geldof, despite
his promotion of the bloodthirsty Bush and Blair regimes. In
mid-December the Nobel Peace Prize laureates who give the award gathered
in Paris to bestow it on an even worse choice: Bono.

Bono is no man of peace--he has yet to speak out against any war. Bono
is part owner of Pandemic/Bioware, producers of Mercenaries 2, a video
game which simulates an invasion of Venezuela. Last year Bono met with
US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates to discuss plans to set up a new
U.S. military command for Africa. Forbes, the magazine Bono co-owns,
constantly beats the drums for war (Bono says he was attracted to the
magazine because it has a “consistent philosophy”).

Like Sir Bob, Bono sings the praises of some of the most warlike public
figures. It starts with Dubya and Blair—Bono praised the UK prime
minister for “doing the things he believed in.” He clearly meant to
include massive British involvement in the war in Iraq. Bono also has
nothing but praise for arch-reactionaries such as Jesse Helms and Billy
Graham. In the video for Pat Boone’s video, “Thank You Billy Graham,”
Bono intones “I give thanks for the sanity of Billy Graham, a singer of
the human spirit.” Interesting. In 1966, Graham followed LBJ to the
podium at the National Prayer Breakfast to give a ringing endorsement of
the war in Vietnam. “There are those,” Graham said, “who have tried to
reduce Christ to a genial and innocuous appeaser; but Jesus said ‘You
are wrong—I have come as a firesetter and sword-wielder. I am come to
send fire down on earth!” Sing that human spirit, Billy—you’ve got Bono
on harmonies. Indeed, surrounded by America’s most hawkish politicians,
Bono gave a fawning keynote speech at the 2008 National Prayer
Breakfast. In a recent interview with the British music magazine Q, U2
drummer Larry Mullen said he “cringes” when he sees Bono hanging out
with George Bush and Tony Blair, adding that those two world leaders
should be tried as “war criminals.”

It might seem strange that a group of Nobel Peace Prize winners would
anoint Bono as a man of peace. But maybe not. Past Peace Prize winners
include Henry Kissinger, puppetmaster of the violent overthrow of
Chile’s Salvador Allende and architect of the bombing of Cambodia, and
Bono’s buddy Al Gore, who backed both Gulf wars after voting for the
first-strike MX missile.

One of the people who might have injected some new thinking into the Man
of Peace festivities in Paris is Tookie Williams. A co-founder of the
Crips gang in LA who became a spokesman against the gang life and an
author of children’s books while on Death Row, Williams was nominated
five times for the Nobel Peace Prize (and once for the Nobel Prize in
literature). Of course, Williams could not attend because he died of a
lethal injection at San Quentin on December 13, 2005 after California
governor Arnold Schwarzenegger refused worldwide pleas for clemency.

Yet on October 23, there was Bono, the “man of peace,” gushing with
praise for Arnold as he gave yet another keynote, this time at the
California Women’s Conference in Long Beach. Other speakers included the
Governator, his wife Maria Shriver, and Madeline Albright. Albright,
Bill Clinton’s Secretary of State, once said on national television when
asked how she could justify the deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children as a
result of Clinton/Gore sanctions: “We think the price is worth it.”

Bono made no mention of the dramatic increase in California poverty
caused by Schwarzenegger’s pro-corporate policies. Not a word about the
two million children in the state who go hungry or about the immigrants
hunted in the streets as if they were animals escaped from a zoo. The
main theme of Bono’s rambling talk was poverty in Africa and Africa
only, although he did make brief mention of how as an aspiring musician
he was inspired by the Clash (ironic since they were artists who made
their opposition to war very explicit).

Despite the inspiration that many people take from the anthems Bono has
written, there is not one shred of evidence that he disagrees on any
issue—war, tax shelters, immigration—with the power brokers he wants us
to believe are the last best hope of mankind.

*Dave Marsh* (along with Lee Ballinger) edits Rock & Rap Confidential
<http://www.rockrap.com/>, one of CounterPunch's favorite newsletters,
now available for free by emailing: rockrap at aol.com
<mailto:rockrap at aol.com>. Marsh's definitive and monumental biography of
Bruce Springsteen has just been reissued, with 12,000 new words, under
the title Two Hearts
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/041596928X/counterpunchmaga>.
Marsh can be reached at: marsh6 at optonline.net <mailto:marsh6 at optonline.net>