[Marxism] The Secret War Against American Workers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Mar 20 10:02:17 MDT 2009

The Secret War Against American Workers
The Unemployment Story No One Notices
By Robert S. Eshelman

Juanita Borden, 39 and jobless, patiently waits as her résumé
methodically works its way, line by line, through a fax machine at a
state-run job center in downtown Philadelphia. Lying open before her on
a round conference table is a neatly organized folder. "This is my
résumé and everywhere I've been faxing to. This is how I keep track of
what day I've sent them on, so I can call and check back," she says,
leafing through pages of fax cover sheets. "I usually give five business
days before I inquire whether or not they've received it and whether or
not they're interested."

Juanita was fired last October, when her employer found out that her
driver's license -- a job requirement -- had expired. "It was only a
matter of twenty-six dollars. I was under the impression that it expired
in November of '08, but it was actually November of '07, and because I
hadn't been driving I wasn't aware of it." The one occasion on which she
was required to drive, though, she couldn't, and that was all her
employer needed to fire her for failing to fulfill her employment
responsibilities. She has since renewed her license and says with an air
of futility, "I'd like to have my job back if they would give it to me."

She hasn't been asked back and, despite her persistent efforts, she
hasn't received a single call from a prospective employer either. "The
good thing," she says, remaining remarkably buoyant despite her
misfortune, "is that usually when I interview I get the job. So... I'm
hoping for an interview soon." Until then, her carefully managed folder
serves as a small measure of control over an otherwise steady drift into
poverty and homelessness.

Juanita isn't the only one at this job center on the precipice of acute
need. And she isn't alone in relating a story about being fired for what
would seem to many a frivolous reason. Chris Topher, 25 and making his
first visit here, was axed in March of last year. The telecommunications
company he had been working for sent him packing when, as he tells it,
he installed cable equipment a customer hadn't ordered. It didn't matter
that the mistake was on the work order Chris was given. "It was the best
job I had since I graduated high school and I've had a few: Turnpike
Commission, working in a Senator's office. I've had some nice jobs, but
that one, I enjoyed it the most."

And there was good reason to enjoy it. Chris pulled down $1,200-1,300
every two weeks in addition to receiving a full benefits package. He
thought of contesting his termination, but at the time it looked like a
long, uphill battle that he wasn't eager to take on. It's a fight that,
in hindsight, he thinks he could have won and that his employer probably
knew he would win as well. "And that's why I believe I was approved by
my employer for unemployment," he says.

Under unemployment eligibility requirements, an employer must certify
whether an employee committed a "fault" on the job and was therefore
terminated. If an employer indicates that no fault was committed and the
employee meets several other requirements, including being physically
able to work, states grant an unemployment claim. In other words,
Chris's former employer granted him a small concession, while otherwise
turning his life upside down amid the worst job market since 1983.

"Unemployment is the pits pretty much," says Chris, whose unemployment
compensation is significantly less than half what he made as a cable
installer. Still, he's better off than Juanita, who has applied for
unemployment twice and been denied both times. She is now appealing, but
her employer is conceding nothing. In a recent arbitration hearing,
Juanita says, her former supervisor claimed that, if she had only told
them about her expired license, they would have allowed her renewal
time. If only.

Now, Juanita lives with her brother and his wife, but they, too, have
financial problems. "My brother is working part time and it's driving
him crazy, because it's causing money problems between him and his
wife," she explains. "And with me being there," she hesitates, "...it's
a little constrained."

full:
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175048/robert_eshelman_the_other_war_on_workers