[Marxism] Redbaiting on the left

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 21 06:30:42 MDT 2009

Joaquin Bustelo wrote:
> THIS IS COMPLETE IDIOCY, and for Louis to forward such to the list without a
> word of criticism of the article, or even commentary, is less helpful than
> one would hope for in the best of all possible worlds.

Drink a glass of cold water, please. I often crosspost articles to the
list without reading them carefully. I read the first few paragraphs and
they passed muster with me:

The Blackout of the March 21 Mobilizations
Redbaiting on the Left

By JOHN WALSH

The War on Iraq drags on with no clear end in sight.  The war on
Afghanistan is being escalated.  The war on Pakistan has also been
stepped up, a war undeclared by Congress, therefore unconstitutional and
the basis for an impeachment.  All this has happened since Obama took
office.

 >> And yet with one exception, no national antiwar demonstration has
been called.  Worse, to a large degree the one demonstration called, for
this coming weekend, March 21, has been blacked out on the “respectable
Left.”  This ugly fact was brought home to me quite strikingly yesterday
at a meeting of single-payer activists, most also antiwar activists.  No
one with whom I spoke knew about the coming demonstration!  Part of the
reason is that some have tried to characterize this action as a fringe
event, because it has been called by A.N.S.W.E.R., about which more
below and with which this writer is not affiliated.

This mobilization has a list of endorsers which are cannot readily be
dismissed. For starters: Cindy Sheehan, Code Pink, Iraq Veterans Against
the War (IVAW), Ron Kovic, Edward Asner, Mimi Kennedy, Ramsey Clark,
School of the Americas Watch, San Francisco Labor Council (AFL-CIO) and
many other labor locals as well as Green Party locals.

Despite this, the official peace movement, sock puppets of the Democrat
Party, like MoveOn and UFPJ, is refusing to join or even to publicize
this effort in any substantial way. <<

And just a comment on this:

 >>And the 20%-25% "nobama" wing of the population are --let's be
honest--rabidly racist Republicans and fetishists of the free market --
except perhaps a few thousand who consider themselves Trotskyists or
some other kind of radical or revolutionary.<<

I am not quite sure what "nobama" means but I was noBush before I was
nobama, and noClinton before that. I just have no use for any Democratic
Party politician, whatever their race or gender. It is a question of class.