[Marxism] Redbaiting on the left

Christopher Hutchinson christopher.hutch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 08:03:25 MDT 2009

To me it is crazy that there was not mention of the National Assembly.  From
CT National Assembly activists organized to bus loads of people to go down
to the march and ANSWER organized two.  Both groups worked together (at
least in CT) to make this a united action.  It seems that UFPJ is conceding
their antiwar character as they slip into a more multi-issue campaign.
Their NYC march call in April with no clear message and their inability to
forge unity with ANSWER or the National Assembly (I am not saying the
National Assembly is a seperate coalition but rather a current in the
movement pushing for mass action) an indication that they have no real
interest in participating in antiwar activity.  Not to mention their
reluctance to include demands on Afghanistan after it was voted on at their
convention.  They are also not advocation "Out Now".

There is a new layer of youth leadership that organized for this March and
as they gain their confidence in organizing it will be more likely that a
strong united front can develop.  In CT a student group that was dominated
by liberal forces has recently broken away and will be holding their
founding conference on April 24th.  CT Students against the war looks to be
a promising force within the antiwar movement here in CT.  Youth are angry
on the campuses.  I was recently flyering at a university campus cafeteria
and 90% of the students wanted to get involved.  in one hour Two
students immediately signed up to get on the bus we were organizing and many
others gave us contact info.

I am sick today and unfortunately missed the bus to DC but it seems to me
that the the antiwar movement is shedding its old skin allowing a new layer
of skin to grow and breath.

keep well,

christopher