[Marxism] cool Hegel quote from Lefebvre

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Mar 22 11:49:13 MDT 2009

Max Clark wrote:
> 'The life of the Spirit is not that life which shrinks from death and seeks to keep itself clear of all corruption, but rather the life which endures the presence of death within itself and preserves itself alive within death..' -Hegel, The Phenomenology of Mind [Quoted in Henri Lefebvre's *Dialectical Materialism*]

Speaking of cool quotes, here's one from an op-ed piece in today's NY
Times written by a woman doing a book on Jews and money:

I remember attending a small dinner party where George Soros was one of
the guests; it made sense to me that he held the floor when he discussed
matters he was expert on, but I couldn’t figure out why all of his
opinions, on whatever subject — be it interior design or the value of
single-sex schools — were treated as equally valid. And then it occurred
to me: he was much wealthier than the other dinner guests, which meant
that everything he said was ipso facto of sovereign interest.

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/opinion/22merkin.htm