[Marxism] Rabid Trotskyite attack on Obama

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Mar 22 16:42:24 MDT 2009

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/22/AR2009032201336.html
Venezuela's Chavez calls Obama 'ignorant'
The Associated Press
Sunday, March 22, 2009; 5:41 PM

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Sunday called
President Barack Obama "ignorant," saying he has a lot to learn about
Latin America.

The Venezuelan leader said he had been ready to name a new ambassador in
Washington when Obama took office, but put that on hold after the new
U.S. president accused him of "exporting terrorism" and being an
obstacle to progress in the region.

"At least one could say, 'poor ignorant person,'" Chavez said on his
weekly television and radio program, adding that Obama "should read a
little bit so that he learns about ... the reality of Latin America."

Chavez's relations with Washington grew increasingly strained under
former President George W. Bush. The Venezuelan president expelled the
U.S. ambassador and withdrew his envoy from Washington in September. Top
diplomats have yet to be restored at either embassy.

Chavez and Obama both plan to attend a summit of leaders from across the
Americas next month in Trinidad and Tobago. There, Chavez said he will
make a case for Cuba to be included in regional talks, saying "we can no
longer continue to accept the impositions of the U.S. empire."

"We ask only for respect for Venezuela, nothing else," Chavez said. "If
Obama respects us, we'll respect him. If Obama tries to keep
disrespecting Venezuela, we will confront the U.S. empire."

Chavez said he showed some of the U.S. administration's critical remarks
about him to U.S. Rep. William Delahunt when the Massachusetts Democrat
visited Caracas last week.

"They keep pointing to me as the bad boy, as the one who attacks,"
Chavez said. "Who stared the attack first? Obama."

The U.S. Embassy in Caracas did not immediately return a call seeking
comment on Sunday.