[Marxism] Death In Ireland

sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com
Mon Mar 23 21:44:12 MDT 2009

The news today brings word that a young man, 17,
has been charged for the slaying of the PSNI constable
killed shortly after the attack on a British Army
base in Northern Ireland. In response to graffiti
mocking the two dead British soldiers, the following
post was made on a Republican forum. It is a quote
from Brendan Hughes, a respected veteran of the IRA,
commenting on the sad reality, and terrible burden, of
war and death in Ireland.

>Brendan "The Dark" Hughes • 22 January 2002

>"It is easy to lift a gun. It is even easy to
fire it. When you see the body of a 17-18 year
old it is not so easy.

>We were young. They were young too. The British
Government sent them onto the streets of Belfast.
The IRA sent us out to oppose them. I took no pleasure
seeing a young Englishman lying on the street.
But I admit to taking pleasure from taking on the
might of the British Empire.

>Most of the kids who died here knew nothing
of why they were here. The bulk of them came from
poor working class families just like our own.
I remember one time in McDonnell Street a young
British soldier had been left behind by his foot
patrol. He was only 18. I was not at the scene but
soon received word that the IRA had captured a
British soldier and were holding him captive.
In those days we did not have radio communication.
By the time I arrived at McDonnell Street the
18 year-old soldier was already dead. He had been
shot dead by a 17 year-old IRA volunteer. I regret
to this day that I was unable to stop his death.

>We had no desire to kill kids whether in uniform
or not. But it was kids who fought this war on
both the British and Irish sides. I was never filled
with hatred for other human beings. I did not hate
the English people. I hated what the British
Government did to my country. "

--
Become a medical transcriptionist at home, at your own pace.
 http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/BLSrjkqfMmhCSdkka7rcST0kzwERUcbQlpK1nGGhyg26wjZ0SIYFpANHz1G/