[Marxism] RCP (and others) to Nepal: Drop Dead.

sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com
Wed Mar 25 23:15:41 MDT 2009

Following the debate over the unfolding
revolution in Nepal, I did take New Wave’s
advice to find

“…the more correct evaluation of revolution
in Nepal. “ by checking out this blog.

http://new-wave-nw.blogspot.com/search/label/Nepal

There was, indeed, a torrent of words rigidly
searching for correctness including the following
insight:

“The present turn in the politics of Nepal,
presents only a caricature of the February
revolution in Russia in 1917, with no October
overturn in the offing,…”

Busted. Nepal is not Russia and this is not
1917. What’s more Prachandra doesn’t look
anything like Trotsky.

Reading through more posts I then followed
the advice to read a year old article in the
“Militant” that upset JRoth. Given how out of
date it was given the fast changing events
there, I focused on the brief history of the
conflict referring to the Communist party of
Nepal (Maoist).

 “The party began a guerrilla war against the
monarchy in 1996. Over the next decade they
built up a force of some 15,000 fighters and
took control of large areas of the countryside.
Attempting to turn the military situation around,
King Gyanendra dissolved parliament in 2002.
Three years later he declared a state of emergency.
In 2006, 100,000 people marched in Kathmandu in
opposition to these dictatorial measures, forcing
Gyanendra to restore parliament.”

Had I not just been reminded that Nepal is
not Russia circa 1917. I might have been
impressed by the achievements of those comrades,
many of them young women participating equally
in the armed struggle. I don’t know about everybody
else but I am sick of reading about credit default
swaps and the assholes who gave the world derivatives.
I need to take a break every now and then to ponder
revolutionary internationalism.

Having listened to the preaching I am going
to stick to my recommendation of the Kasama site
where the debate is ongoing. As to the longing for
October I could not help but fondly remember another
publication, “The Workers Vanguard.” Besides the gossip
and screaming headlines one could take solace in the
certitude that every one of those articles was fixated
solidly, and solely, in October (actually November),
1917.

--
Paying too much for your home?  Click to refinance at a lower rate.
 http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/BLSrjkqeTk2wVYxTUEmH8NGxsjqHmB1GN6ANrDyLLxaRUC31igLiQU5Jewg/