[Marxism] Leveraged Speculators Will Save Us

sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com sobuadhaigh at hushmail.com
Wed Mar 25 23:42:21 MDT 2009

Doug Henwood is on to something in his prediction that
liberal austerity is in the cards as the price for salvaging
capitalism and maintaining the retirement plans
of the rich.

>It would be a nice Nixon-in-China turn, for a Democratic president
>elected on high ?progressive? hopes, to preside over something
>like an IMF structural adjustment program applied to the U.S. It
could be
>portrayed as a necessary sacrifice for the common good. In fact,
>we can already see the outlines of a liberal apologia for
austerity on
>the Nation?s website.

Obama was asked this directly at the last press conference and his
response was disingenuous pablum.

>Chuck Todd of NBC asked the president what sort of sacrifices
he would like to see from the American people during this economic
crisis.
The president responded that he expects Americans to do what
they've
always done "which is working hard, looking after their families,
making
sure that, despite the economic hard times, that they're still
contributing
to their community..."

>OK. Chuck Todd?
Q: Thank you, Mr. President. Some have compared this financial
crisis to a war.
And in times of war, past presidents have called for some form of
sacrifice.
Some of your programs, whether for Main Street or Wall Street, have
actually
cushioned the blow for those that were irresponsible during this —
during
this economic period of prosperity or supposed prosperity that you
were
talking about. Why, given this new era of responsibility that
you're asking for,
 why haven't you asked for something specific that the public
should be
sacrificing to participate in this economic recovery?

OBAMA: Well, let me — let me take that question in a couple —
couple of phases. First of all, it's not true that we have not
asked
sacrifice from people who are getting taxpayer money. We have
imposed
 some very stiff conditions. The only problem that we've had so far
are
contracts that were put in place before we took over.
But moving forward, anybody — any bank, for example —
that is receiving capital from the taxpayers is going to have to
have some very strict conditions in terms of how it pays out its
executives, how it pays out dividends, how it's reporting its
lending practices, so we want to make sure that there's some
stiff conditions in place. With respect to the American people,
I think folks are sacrificing left and right. I mean, you've got a
lot of parents who are cutting back on everything to make sure
that their kids can still go to college. You've got workers who
are deciding to cut an entire day — an entire day's worth of pay
so that their fellow co-workers aren't laid off.
I think that, across the board, people are making adjustments
large and small to accommodate the fact that we're in very
difficult times right now. What I've said here in Washington is
 that we've got to make some tough choices. We've got to make
some tough budgetary choices. What we can't do, though, is
sacrifice long-term growth, investments that are critical to the
future, and that's why my budget focuses on health care, energy,
education, the kinds of things that can build a foundation for long-
term economic growth, as opposed to the fleeting prosperity that
we've seen over the last several years. I mean, when you have an
economy in which the majority of growth is coming from the
financial
sector, when AIG selling a derivative is counted as an increase in
the
gross domestic product, then that's not a model for sustainable
economic
growth. And what we have to do is invest in those things that will
allow the
Americans' capacity for ingenuity and innovation, their ability to
take risks,
but make sure that those risks are grounded in good products and
good
services that they believe they can market to the rest of the
country,
that those models of economic growth are what we're promoting,
and that's what I think our budget does.

--
Give your Kitchen a new look with updated Cabinets.
 http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/BLSrjkqfY0nkeBM6DrHzpZahVUDIz6NIoJsn2W71vD9Rxo8plx2C7qL7m16/