[Marxism] US profits collapse in 4th qtr

chegitz guevara absynthe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 09:33:32 MDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Steve Palmer <spalmer999 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Confirmation of the importance of imperialism to US capitalism's profitability is that receipts from rest of world were $479.8, 39.7% of total profits.
>
> http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/national/gdp/2009/pdf/gdp408f.pdf

Keep in mind that the United States largest trading partners are
countries like Canada, Japan, and Western Europe. Most foreign revenue
comes from inter-imperialist trade, not extraction from the
neo-colonial world.

What I find interesting is how much trade has grown as a part of the
American economy. While this deals with profit only, and not simply
revenue, in 1990, trade accounted for a mere 6% of the U.S. economy.
What this shows is that ~40% of profit came from overseas. We're
comparing apples and pears, so we can't make too much of this, though.

It's also difficult to know what these numbers means, because resource
extraction really muddles things and doesn't reflect full value added
to the economy.