[Marxism] U. of Michigan Press says goodbye to dead trees

nada dwaltersMIA at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 17:03:55 MDT 2009

Joaquin
"There isn't a single such scheme that's been around for a few years
that hasn't been
broken, and mostly they last a few months."

Yet sales are increasing. DRM has a life to it and don't underestimate
it. The readers are *better* than a computer screen, more portable than
a laptop. I would take that bet any time with Joaquin.

Even getting around DRM now can take a while, as cracks are hard to come
by and copying is a pain in the ass, if you've tried to do it. It will
take that one person to "rip" the book as Joaquin noted on another
thread today, to transcribe it and circulate it. Take it from someone
who deals with this most of their time, it ain't happening as often as
Joaquin makes it out to be.

Take science fiction, my personal favorite literary genre. A new, (yes,
'competitive') non-monopoly publisher called Baen Books...started out of
the blue about 10 years ago for nothing, and is now one of the biggest
publishers in sci-fi, *encourages* e-books and free electronic libraries
for much of their works. Ex-SWPer Eric Flint helped set up and it's
thriving. But few people heist the e-books-for-pay and distribute them
by pirate site or bittorent. It's just not done that often. I've never
seen one of Flint's book that was not in e-book form floating around
after someone scanned it in. So dead trees are hear to stay (thank the
gods of wind and sun).

One thing we've found on the MIA is the constant influx of queries about
"where to buy hard copy" of this or that work. I think that like *every*
media technology, these new ones come along and simply add to, but never
delete, the "previous inferior technology" (Radio-->TV-->Internet-->?)
It just gets more centrifugal and *additional*. I actually see people
with e-books now on the street. Never did *last year*. Something must be up.

David