[Marxism] The insanity that is capitalism

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:19:27 MDT 2009

There's a water shortage after three years of drought. We need to cut back usage. The Santa Clara Valley Water District has voted
to cut back water usage 15%. Ah, but it's not that simple. You see,
SCVWD, which manages all the reservoirs etc. in the county, is just the
"wholesale" provider of water. They then resell that water to 13 (!)
different "retail" water providers, some private, some municipal, who
actually sell the water to people like me. In order to achieve that 15%
cutback, each of those 13 different providers will have to decide
separately how to do so, either by passing ordinances in the case of
the municipal providers, or by charging higher rates for excessive
usage in the case of the private companies.
And that's just one
county. What a stupid, irrational mess. A better world is possible. And
a better system of water distribution as well.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com