[Marxism] Obama: I am a New Democrat

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Mar 26 18:43:35 MDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:57:13 -0400 (EDT) "Michael Friedman"
<mikedf at amnh.org> writes:
> not necessarily a loss. health insurance would be out of the hands
> of
> private enterprise, which means that savings can be used to bolster
> employment not only in health industry, but other sectors. yes, we
> can
> expect some rationalization of health care, but that means
> replacement of
> expensive, high-tech cardiac centers with labor intensive primary
> care
> physicians and campaigns. and we'd still have to tackle the
> pharmaceutical
> industry... *private* health insurance industry absorbs billions
> annually
> in tax dollars, for one thing...

Also if we had single payer, the connection between
employment and healthcare benefits would be
effectively broken thereby making labor more
mobile.  Lots of people stick to jobs that they
do not like because of the healthcare benefits.
If the link between healthcare benefits and
employment was broken, people would
feel freer to switch jobs.  Bourgeois economists
are always telling us that increased labor
mobility is a good thing and that it leads
to a more allocation of resources in an
economy.