[Marxism] Chris Hedges on [schizophrenia] the military-industrial-academic

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 28 15:59:07 MDT 2009

Max Clark wrote:
> Deleuze and Guattari, Anti-Oedipus: 'The schizophrenic deliberately seeks out the very limit of capitalism: he is its inherent tendency brought to fulfullment, its surplus product, its proletariat, and its exterminating angel..'
>
> As a clinically diagnosed schizophrenic, I must judge the following (reiteration of Adorno) from Chris Hedges an malicious fallacy:
>
> "those manipulative people [i.e. capitalists], who actually are incapable of true
> experience [?], for that very reason manifest an unresponsiveness [?] that
> associates them with certain mentally ill or psychotic characters,
> namely schizoids."

I strongly support Max's objection to this crapola.

A while back I wrote a long article on how schizophrenia was
misrepresented both in popular culture--film specifically--and how
Freudianism (of the kind that influenced Deleuze and Guattari) served as
an enabler in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" ad nauseum.

http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/culture/madness.htm