[Marxism] John Mellencamp: The State of the Music Business

sabocat59 at mac.com sabocat59 at mac.com
Sun Mar 29 09:24:36 MDT 2009

The CD is still around but is taking hits from mp3 and vinyl formats. Much of the new crop of vinyl is still problematic in terms of quality control, but it's slowly getting better.
I still prefer the old vinyl. Vinyl from the 1950's and into the 1960's is still the best. That said, contemporary vinyl still sounds better than cd.

CD playback has progressed to the point that a cd player costing two to three times that of a contemporary turntable will sound just as good. Players in the same price range sound inferior to their vinyl spinning counterparts.

Greg

My favorite excerpt from the Mellencamp interview:

The CD, it should be noted, was born out of greed. It was devised to prop up record sales on the expectation of people replenishing their record collections with CDs of albums they had already purchased. They used to call this "planned obsolesce" in the car business. Sound quality was supposed to be one of the big selling points for CDs but, as we know, it wasn't very good at all. It was just another con, a get-rich-quick scheme, a monumental hoax perpetrated on the music consuming public.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T