[Marxism] Leon Botstein

bkelly kellyr818 at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 29 11:24:14 MDT 2009

"Actually, even bluegrass music was influenced by the African heritage.  As
Bela Flek's promotion of his current tour with African musicians
demostrates, even the banjo has its ancestral counterpart among African
musicians."

Come to think of it, I recall hearing the same thing about the banjo
sometime in the past. Given that I even hear the occasional blue note
emanating from the Lawrence Welk Band, I'm now stumped. An American music
without Afro-American influence....hmmmm. Kate Smith? Goes back a ways, but
she certainly wasn't very funky!