[Marxism] Not 'RoP' but '% of total profits' - duh. Re:USprofits collapse in 4th qtr

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Mar 29 12:26:42 MDT 2009

S. Artesian wrote:
> Do your organic farmers use trucks to get their produce to you?

But that's the source of the problem. Modern transportation facilitated
the long-distance transportation of crops, thus hastening what Marx
referred to as the metabolic rift. We can now all go down to Gristedes
and get strawberries laden with e-coli.

> I suspect what you see as a solution to this is in actuality depopulation of
> the cities, creating 2 million, 3 million, many million little rural hamlets
> of sustainable, and isolated, production.
>
> Sounds  to me like Solzhenitsyn in his letter to the Soviet leaders.

Marx and Engels had an idea that also might sound "anti-urban":

"Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual
abolition of all the distinction between town and country by a more
equable distribution of the populace over the country."

--Communist Manifesto