[Marxism] British Government Refuses To Discuss Sovereignty of Malvinas

J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Sun Mar 29 15:17:20 MDT 2009

When I was living in Monimbo in Masaya (Nicaragua), I was
looking over some maps of the barrios in the Alcaldia when
I noticed that there was a 'barrio Las Malvinas'. I asked
my FSLN hosts why that was, and they said that they named
it out of solidarity with the anti-imperialist struggle of
the Argentinian people during the Falklands war.

I said: "But when you named the barrio Las Malvinas, the
Argentine people were under a military dictatorship that
had murdered thousands of the working class and not only
that, but that dictatorship was responsible for arming and
financing the Guardia Civil/Contra in Honduras and acting
as a refuge for ex-Somozistas, while the Falklands war was
actually going on, until the US got in on the act and took
over as i/c counterrevolution."

A pause. "Si, pero no nos gusta el imperialismo.." Truly
the solidarity of anti-colonial sentiment is a wonderful
thing.

Jon Cloke