[Marxism] British Government Refuses To Discuss Sovereignty of Malvinas

J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 02:31:03 MDT 2009

Alas, the facts and the complexity of human involvement
allow of no such simple answer; I thought (and think) that
the Falklands War was an immense waste of lives and
resources and I regret the loss of each and every life on
both sides. The historical 'facts on the ground'
(copyright: George Bush) are that two imperialist powers,
the UK and Argentina, used the Falklands for diverse
purposes; the Argentinian military junta because it had
made a king-size mess of the Argentinian economy and had
committed mass murder on a substantial portion of its own
population in some kind of mythical war against the
montaneros, and needed something to divert the attention
of the population away from its increasing immiseration.

Margaret Thatcher convinced the military establishment of
the UK to assemble the task force, having misread the
initial signs that Argentina was determined to take the
Falklands and then callously deciding to use the war and
everything that happened in it, including the sinking of
the Belgrano, as a means to electoral victory at a time
when she too had made a king size fuck-up of the UK
economy in what was definitely a class war against the
steel workers, miners, car factory workers, etc.

The victims of both of these two sets of ruthless
imperialists were (in no particular order of importance)
a) the Falklanders themselves, whom history and chance put
in the way of a meaningless post-imperial struggle; b) the
poor bloody Argentinian conscripts who were treated like
slaves by their officers and whose lives were thrown away
in a desperate effort to prop up a military junta busy
butchering the families of those same conscripts back in
Argentina, and c) the British soldiers who died there,
even though the ones I know who fought there volunteered
and did everything in their power to get sent on the task
force.

"All those who know what imperialism means were with
Argentina." Really? I can just imagine those estimated
5,000 poor desparecido bastards who passed through the
Navy Mechanics School in Buenos Aires thinking to
themselves "Well, I've just had electrodes attached to me
and I've been tortured until I passed out and I'm going to
be dropped from a military helicopter into the Rio Plata,
but thank God the military junta has restored our national
honour and taken back the Malvinas!"

It may be ignorance that makes you choose to put such
complex issues into your childishly simplistic mental
structures, or it may be just viciousness, but here's the
truth: 1)there was no right side or wrong side in this war
and there ain't no class struggle analysis that will make
it so; 2) agitating for the defeat of one side or the
other from a *Marxist* point of view is just rubbish - it
ignores the internal dynamics of class struggle within
both countries which is far more important than the one
between the countries and, what's most important, allows
the parameters of debate to be set by a nationalist
rhetoric created by the imperialists themselves!

So no, in answer to your grade-school question and the
breath-taking lack of analytical capacity its initial
premises imply, I didn't agitate for the defeat of the UK
armed forces - if I agitated for anything it would be that
as many of them came home alive as was possible; I did and
do support the right of any community of people
(Falklanders or Palestinians or disappeared trades
unionists in Argentina) to self-determination and the
right to a peaceful existence. There are more things in
remnant post-immperial struggles, nestor, than are dreamt
of in your class analysis...

--
Jon Cloke