[Marxism] Newsweek's unintentional admission

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Mar 30 07:48:10 MDT 2009

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/03/29/newsweek/

Newsweek's unintentionally revealed, central truth
A new article by Evan Thomas describes perfectly the role of that
magazine, its reporters, and our media stars generally.

Glenn Greenwald

Mar. 29, 2009

In his just-released cover story on Paul Krugman's status as Obama
critic, Newsweek's Evan Thomas includes these observations:

     By definition, establishments believe in propping up the existing
order. Members of the ruling class have a vested interest in keeping
things pretty much the way they are.  Safeguarding the status quo,
protecting traditional institutions, can be healthy and useful,
stabilizing and reassuring.

Thomas then acknowledges what is glaringly obvious not only about
himself but also most of his media-star colleagues:  "If you are of the
establishment persuasion (and I am) . . ."

One day in the near future, Thomas should have a luncheon or perhaps a
nice Sunday brunch at his home, invite over all of his journalist
friends who work in the media divisions of our largest corporations, and
they should spend 15 minutes or so assembling these sentences together,
and then examine what these facts mean for the actual role played by
establishment journalists, the functions they fulfill, whose interests
they serve, and the vast, vast disparities between (a) those answers and
(b) the pretenses about their profession and themselves which they
continue, ludicrously, to maintain.  To make the discussion less
strenuous on the guests' brains, Thomas, as a good host, could provide
visual illustrations such as this and this.

Also, in the name of consumer protection, television news shows and the
largest newspapers ought to place that above-excerpted paragraph by
Thomas as a warning at the top of every product they produce.