[Marxism] Just for the fun of it

J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 31 09:37:38 MDT 2009

I would say, in relation to Diego Garcia that India had no
more right to them than I have to your back garden; the
Ilois people, who at the beginning of the century were 60%
African-Malagasy and some 40% Tamil, (an artificial
creation following the French claiming of the uninhabited
islands in 1776) are the only true legitimate inhabitants
and had been part of the British Empire until 1968 when as
a result of Mauritian independence they got sold to the
British by Mauritius (which had no right to do so and did
so in contravention of UN resolution 2066 of 1965), an act
of imperial bastardry which has few parallels, except
perhaps the complete extermination of the Tasman
aborigines by the British in the 19th century and for
which we have yet to apologise, let alone give the islands
back as the UK High Court said we should.

In terms of Eire invading Northern Ireland, I would say
that given the ‘fact on the ground’ created by the
establishment of the Protestant community since the 17th
century (now over 400 years in the making) and the de
facto separation of the six counties from Eire since the
liberation, both Eire and the UK would be best off leaving
the six counties to their own devices (that means UK
troops, police and anyone else out now) and working out
their own self-determination. I think the putting of
troops into Northern Ireland in 1969 was a stupid, bad
mistake and has only put off the inevitable for thirty
years and at the same time allowed the sectarian divide to
become far worse and the problems created more
intractable. At the same time, had it been (for instance)
Irish troops who entered in 1969, to protect the
Republican community, I think that the exact seem thing
would have happened, only with the positions completely
reversed.

--
Dr Jon Cloke
Project Officer EnergyCentral and Research Associate

E-mail: j.m.p.cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Tel: 00 44 07984 813681