[Marxism] Liberal Scare-Mongers Attack Progressive Food Bill

chegitz guevara absynthe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 11:03:10 MDT 2009

In the last couple of weeks, hysteria among progressives has begun to
sweep the internet. Claiming that a bill before Congress right now
HR875 would end organic farming, Greens, liberals and progressives
have crowded into an echo chamber to decry the bill. But where's the
evidence. No one opposing this bill has yet quoted from the bill to
provide proof of their wild claims.

The chief evidence against the bill is that one of the sponsors is the
spouse of someone who is on the payroll of Monsanto. In reality, Stan
Greenbug never worked for Monsanto (he's a political strategist), his
company does no lobbying, and Mr. Greenburg has not done any surveys
for Monsanot in the past decade.

It is claimed that the bill makes it illegal to have your own backward
garden. Such language would be unconstitutional, because Congress only
has the authority to regulate interstate commerce. Food grown for your
own consumption or even food grown for local markets cannot be
regulated by Congress--period! On top of that, there is no language in
the bill that even says what the scare mongers claim. This is nothing
more than a lie on the scare mongers part, without even a kernel of
truth.

The scare-mongers claim that the bill would shut down local food
markets. Keeping in mind that, again, Congress has no power to do so,
there is nothing in the bill that says what they claim. It is, again,
a lie made up from whole-cloth.

The biggest lie is that the bill would mean the death of organic
farming and would mandate the use of chemicals and certain types of
seeds. Again, there is absolutely no language in the bill that would
do this. On top of that, organic farming is regulated under the
Department of Agriculture. HR875 only deals with the Food and Drug
Administration.

Other lies include a national animal ID. Again, nothing in the bill
creates this, but if it did, is that a bad thing? Is it really a
problem being able to track individual food animals, so if we discover
in the food production process that it has some disease, we can track
where it came from, which animals it has been in contact with, etc.?
In fact, it's too bad that the bill doesn't do just this, because it
would be a very good thing for our safety.

Lastly, it's been claimed that the bill is being forced through
Congress, without debate, and there is less than a week to stop it. I
saw the first scare-monger email almost a week ago. The YouTube videos
linked in the email below are almost thee weeks old. This is a very
easy lie to disprove, since, according to the claim, it should have
been law two weeks ago. Furthermore, by simply looking up the bill on
Thomas.gov, we can see that the last major action on the bill was the
4th of February.

The bill before Congress can be seen at,
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:hr875:

All anyone has to do is read it for themselves.

What the bill does, in fact, is split food safety from the Food and
Drug Administration. That's all. And that's a good thing.

The question is why the hysteria? Well, there's a common habit among
liberals to forward hysterical claims without investigating them. It
seemed too stupid to be true, so I went and looked up the bill and
read it myself. That's a basic, 101 level of investigation.

Please forward the truth widely to counter the claims of liberal scare mongers.

H.R. 875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 -