[Marxism] Just for the fun of it

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:38:07 MDT 2009

J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

<snip>

> In terms of Eire invading Northern Ireland, I would say
> that given the ?fact on the ground? created by the
> establishment of the Protestant community since the 17th
> century (now over 400 years in the making) and the de
> facto separation of the six counties from Eire since the
> liberation, both Eire and the UK would be best off leaving
> the six counties to their own devices (that means UK
> troops, police and anyone else out now) and working out
> their own self-determination. I think the putting of
> troops into Northern Ireland in 1969 was a stupid, bad
> mistake and has only put off the inevitable for thirty
> years and at the same time allowed the sectarian divide to
> become far worse and the problems created more
> intractable. At the same time, had it been (for instance)
> Irish troops who entered in 1969, to protect the
> Republican community, I think that the exact seem thing
> would have happened, only with the positions completely
> reversed.

As with everything else you have said about Ireland this shows woeful
ignorance of the realities of Irish history and the role of British
imperialism in Ireland.

British troops weren't sent to the Six Counties in 1969 to protect the
the Catholic communities from the rampaging police and the mobs they had
mobilised. They were sent to protect the integrity of the British
capitalist state in British occupied Ireland - at the request of the
Unionist government of the Northern Ireland statelet. (It was called
"coming to the aid of the civil power".)

This can be seen from the fact that British troops weren't introcuced
first in Belfast, where a pogrom against Catholic areas was in full
swing, but to Derry, where the defenders of the Bogside were in the
process of driving the RUC back and the danger existed that the area
west of the River Foyle would become a liberated zone. Only after Derry
had been secured were troops then sent to Belfast.

I could go on, but talking to a brick wall isn't my style. I'm not
certain why you are participating in a Marxist dicussion forum as you
show no awareness of the Marxist tradition and it's analysis of the
relationship between Britain and Irealnd - indeed your ignorance of the
current situation is also almost breath-taking. Instead you show an
almost unbelievable credulousness when it comes to the propaganda of the
British imperialist ruling class.

Einde O'Callaghan