[Marxism] George Packer versus Mark Danner

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 3 06:37:17 MST 2009

These are a couple of first-class idiots. Danner is a professor at Bard
College who I have found multiple occasions to lambaste over the years
for his Serbophobia. His articles in the New York Review were cut from
the same cloth as Christopher Hitchens, even as he has presented himself
as a peace advocate second to none. He has been a guest on Democracy Now
and other left venues.

Packer, on the other hand, has been an imperialist mouthpiece in the
Paul Berman mode for a number of years. He was an enthusiastic supporter
of the war in Iraq until it turned sour. He clearly must resent Danner's
attempts at making a career out of "tragedies" in the Third World
warfare arenas, since this is something he regards as his own turf.

Danner's most recent book "Stripping Bare the Body", a likely bad faith
work staking out his dubious pacifism, received a hostile review by
Packer in the NY Times Book Review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/books/review/Packer-t.html

As much of a gargoyle Packer is, I could not help but smiling at his
rude treatment of Danner's pretensions:

"Untethering his essayistic ambitions from ground-level journalism does
not serve Danner well. A tendency toward inflated writing and
overstatement starts to appear: there are too many self-­dramatizing
turns of phrase, like “The first time I was killed, or nearly so”; too
many moments when the writer, confronted with a destroyed city or a
bloody mess of dismembered bodies, finds George F. Kennan or Henry James
coming to mind."

You can get an idea about where this going next from the always witty
and acerbic The Awl website:

http://www.theawl.com/2009/11/insane-mark-danner-v-george-packer-nytbr-catfight-ahoy

All in all, this promises to be a delightful spectacle in the vein of
the one that took place between Ian Buruma and Paul Berman a year or so
ago. Buruma, another Bard professor, is a disgusting Islamophobe but
pretends to be in favor of tolerance, etc. When he wrote a nasty review
of Berman's atrocious Islamophobic book, Berman lashed out at him.
Here's an account of that feud:

http://www.observer.com/2007/berman-and-buruma-face-new-york-review