[Marxism] Malalai Joya interview

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 4 08:50:17 MST 2009

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-11-04/afghans-bravest-wants-us-out/
Many Afghan women are against a U.S. pullout, but Malalai Joya,
who’s been called “the bravest woman in Afghanistan,” says the
American occupation must end. She tells The Daily Beast’s Michelle
Goldberg why.

Malalai Joya, a 31-year-old activist and politician, was once
called “the bravest woman in Afghanistan” by the BBC. During the
Taliban years, she defied her country’s rulers by running
underground girls’ schools. After the Taliban’s fall, she helped
start an orphanage and a medical clinic, and eventually became the
youngest member of Afghanistan’s legislature. She has been
fearless in taking on the warlords who populate the government of
Hamid Karzai—declared the presidential victor Monday after a
runoff election was canceled—so much so that in 2007, her
political opponents voted to suspend her from parliament on the
grounds that she had “insulted” the institution. Calling for her
reinstatement, six female Nobel Peace Prize laureates compared her
to Burma’s Aung San Suu Kyi, describing her as “a model for women
everywhere seeking to make the world more just.”

The Afghan government is “a group of warlords, criminals, who
[waged the] civil war in Afghanistan from ’92 to ’96. They are
photocopies of Taliban, but with suit and tie, talking about
democracy.”

So when Joya inveighs against the American occupation of her
country, we should take her voice seriously.

“My message on behalf of my people to [the] great American people
is that democracy never comes by barrel of gun, by cluster bomb,
by war,” she told me during a recent interview in New York, her
words rushing out in an impassioned torrent. “They say war of Iraq
is bad war, war of Afghanistan is good war, while both are war.
You should raise your voice against the wrong policy of your
government.”

Joya is touring the United States to promote her new book, A Woman
Among the Warlords: The Extraordinary Story of an Afghan Who Dared
to Raise Her Voice. The volume is both an autobiography and a
damning indictment of the Karzai regime and its American backers.
It offers a perspective that’s particularly salient right now, as
the U.S. debates its future in Afghanistan. Many liberals are
turning against the war, but worry that pulling out will abandon
Afghans, particularly Afghan women, to the ravages of a Taliban
takeover. They may be right—there are plenty of Afghan women
speaking out strongly against a pullout. Still, Joya shows that
the feminist case for staying in Afghanistan is far from clear-cut.

Joya is barely 5 feet tall—she swims in her pantsuit—but her
presence is arresting and authoritative. Educated largely in
refugee camps in Iran and Pakistan, she never had the opportunity
to go to college, but she’s a book-loving autodidact who quotes
Bertholt Brecht as often as she cites Afghan proverbs. Her English
is slightly broken but still impressive—she has a rich vocabulary
of epithets to describe Afghanistan’s current government, which,
she insists is no better than the Taliban regime it replaced.

After Sept. 11, 2001, she says, when it was clear there would be
war, liberal-minded Afghans harbored hopes that the United States
and NATO would “bring positive changes, especially [because] they
came to Afghanistan under the banner of women’s rights, human
rights, democracy.” Instead, she says, the U.S. and its allies
“replaced one fascist regime, Taliban, these misogynist
terrorists, with another group of warlords, criminals, who [waged
the] civil war in Afghanistan from ’92 to ’96. They are
photocopies of Taliban, but with suit and tie, talking about
democracy.”

Joya rejects the argument that NATO troops are the only thing
standing in the way of a Taliban takeover. In fact, she says, the
widespread civilian deaths caused by American bombs are fueling
the Taliban’s growing grassroots strength. Increasingly, she says,
Afghans speculate that the United States is deliberately killing
innocent civilians as revenge for the innocent American civilians
killed on Sept. 11. “We are between two powerful enemies,” she
says. “We are fighting against occupation, and also against
Taliban and warlords who now negotiate with each other. So with
the withdrawal of one enemy, these occupation forces whose
government is giving more money and power to these terrorists…
it’s much easier to fight against one enemy instead of two.”

To be sure, Joya doesn’t speak for all Afghan women. Indeed, many
Afghan women’s rights activists and their American supporters
express terror at what would await them after an American
withdrawal. The Afghan human-rights activist Wazhma Frogh recently
wrote in The Washington Post, “As an Afghan woman who for many
years lived a life deprived of the most basic human rights, I find
unbearable the thought of what will happen to the women of my
country if it once again falls under the control of the insurgents
and militants who now threaten it.”

Women for Afghan Women, an NGO that runs counseling centers and
domestic-violence shelters in Afghanistan, recently put out a
statement saying, “Women for Afghan Women deeply regrets having a
position in favor of maintaining, even increasing troops… We
predict that if Afghanistan falls again to the Taliban, we will
once more see on our high-definition TV screens, in the comfort of
our American homes, women and girls being hauled into the Kabul
football stadium to be beaten and executed for having committed
acts that would not be considered criminal by any international
human-rights laws, including those signed by Afghanistan.”

Sunita Viswanath, one of the board members of Women for Afghan
Women, is immensely frustrated by those on the left who are
calling for the occupation’s end. “I want the answer to [this]
question,” she says. “What do they think will happen to women and
girls?”

Joya’s response is to argue that outside parts of Kabul, women’s
situations are as bad as they ever were, and it’s getting worse.
“It is as catastrophic as it was under the domination of Taliban,”
she says.

“Everyone, they are talking that when these troops leave
Afghanistan, civil war will happen,” says Joya. “Mainstream media
especially try to put more dust in the eyes of the people around
the world. But nobody wants to talk about today’s civil war.” The
longer American troops stay, “the worse civil war will be, because
[the American] government [is] giving more money and more power to
these warlords and also Taliban. That’s why, day by day, my people
believe [that the U.S.] just waste their taxpayer money and the
blood of their soldiers by supporting such a mafia corrupt system
of Hamid Karzai.”

Joya doesn’t want the world to forget about Afghanistan; she is
desperate for more humanitarian and educational support. But she
rejects entirely the notion that the American military can be a
force for good, or a force for feminism. “I believe that women’s
rights is not a bunch of beautiful flowers that someone gives us,”
she says. In her book, she writes, “I feel confident that if
foreign countries stop meddling in Afghanistan and if we are left
free from occupation, then a strong progressive and democratic
force will emerge.”

That might seem terribly optimistic, even naïve to most Americans.
But if we think we’re fighting for women like her, we should at
least listen when she begs us to stop.

Michelle Goldberg is the author of The Means of Reproduction: Sex,
Power and the Future of the World and Kingdom Coming: The Rise of
Christian Nationalism. She is a senior correspondent for The
American Prospect, and her work has appeared in The New Republic,
The Nation, the Los Angeles Times, Glamour, and many other
publications.