[Marxism] New book on Fred Hampton assassination

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 7 09:22:42 MST 2009

Sure the Panthers were a work in progress, or more accurately a work in
regress, since the Black Panthers I first knew about were the Panthers in
the Lowndes Co {Alabama}Freedom Organization,  organized by SNCC
voter-registration workers and the African-American community.

Be that as it may-- you can't analyze the Panthers without analyzing the
historical background, and the Panthers' own decomposition under both
government repression, and as a result of  their rejection, and opposition,
to class-conscious struggle, their embrace of  black capitalism [surely I'm
not the only one who remembers Huey Newton's face on the dollar bill on the
cover of the Panther newspaper], etc. And surely I'm not the only one who
recalls the Panthers' explicit turn against the proletariat and embrace of
the "lumpen-proletariat."  I vaguely recall having a discussion with some
Panthers who urged "bombing the factories."

To say the Panthers "didn't have the luxury of acquiring a deep ground in
Marxist-Leninist-Trotskyist theory" because "they were thrown up as response
to the struggle as it was happening," is I'm sure well-intentioned but
a)just not historically accurate and b) a bit patronizing.

First, part of the attraction that the Panthers held was their announced
understanding of Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Fanonist-etc. etc. theory as it
applied to African-Americans.  Secondly, for several years, Huey Newton was
incarcerated in prison where, according to his own statements, he read
Fanon, Marx, Lenin etcetcetc, with such intensity that he actually damaged
his own eyesight.   The Panthers as a confrontational combat organization
never existed separate and apart from their claim to existence as the
embodiment of a Marxist vanguard, and the purveyors of revolutionary theory.