[Marxism] New Book on Fred Hampton Assasination

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 7 12:08:30 MST 2009

Tom Cod wrote:
> I think Guy Miller hits the nail right on the head.  Proyect quotes
> from Malcolm on the OAU, so?

If you can't tell the difference between "off the pigs" and Malcolm's
formulations, you obviously don't understand the abc's of Marxism. Read
Trotsky's history of the Russian revolution for an understanding of
defensive formulations. The seizure of power in October 1917 was framed
in terms of defending Soviet legality.

> I have no doubt whatsoever that Malcolm would not have taken that
> view and would resent his image being appropriated to themselves by
> these sectarians whom he would have viewed as trying to make him a
> miilquetoast "King" figure against "black power" militants (not that
> that is an accurate take on King at all).

Actually, Malcolm and Martin were converging by the time of Malcolm's
assassination. Malcolm was moving toward a mass movement orientation and
Martin was moving toward a more revolutionary perspective.

> I remember the YSA had another poster
> when I was in high school when Eldridge Cleaver was on the lam:
> Eldridge Cleaver welcome here.

Krapp's Last Tape.