[Marxism] 7th Grader Confronts BNP Fascist During School Feild Trip

jay rothermel jayrothermel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:00:04 MST 2009

>From "The Independent" Newspaper:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/schoolboy-confronts-griffin-at-memorial-1816564.html

Nick Griffin, the leader of the British National Party, has paid a secret
visit to a First World War memorial in Belgium – only to become embroiled in
an angry confrontation with a 13-year-old schoolboy, The Independent has
learnt.

On Wednesday the pupil, William Robey, was in Ypres visiting the Menin Gate
Memorial to the Missing as part of a school trip. It was built to
commemorate the thousands of British and Commonwealth soldiers who died in
the Ypres Salient in 1914-17, and its walls are inscribed with the names of
54,360 men who died for the British cause – including the 40th Pathans, an
Indian infantry regiment which suffered great losses. But as "The Last Post"
was about to be played, the schoolboy spotted Nick Griffin surrounded by
some of his supporters.

William told The Independent: "I asked him if I could take his picture, next
to the memorial for Pathan Indians. He reluctantly agreed, but as I went to
take my photo I asked him, 'Isn't this against your party's policy?' One of
his supporters put his hand over the lens, told me to 'get my facts
straight', and grabbed my arm.

"I took the picture but it's very blurry. I said to him, 'Your party's built
on hatred.' He started shouting at me, pointing his finger. The rest of his
lot were all laughing and smirking. I just felt a bit sick inside to see him
there to be honest. There they were with their poppies on, trying to put
this respectable front on, yet they're happy to confront a 13-year-old at a
war memorial to try and get their point across.

"He was just saying 'I've got lots of Sikh friends' when my teacher stepped
in and took me away."

A BNP spokesperson said Mr Griffin often visits War Memorials when he
returns to the European Parliament. He said the BNP leader "doesn't recall
any jostling,." He also "It wasn't one of Nick's security entourage who put
his hand over the camera. It was someone else who was there."

William's mother, Lucy, said that since the incident her son had been
approached by a number of people who wanted to congratulate him for
"standing up against racism".

She added that William was "very into his politics" and "knew his stuff",
hinting that he might have a career in public life ahead of him – although
his talent for asking difficult questions of politicians suggests that a
career in journalism might also beckon.