[Marxism] A few words In Defense of the Black Panther Party

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 8 11:52:15 MST 2009

S. Artesian wrote:
> Somewhere along the line, real history has to be apprehended, criticized,
> captured so we can maybe avoid repeating the same old same old one more same
> old time.

Exactly.

We all hail Che Guevara as an exemplary revolutionary, but the Bolivian
mission was doomed from the start since it was based on a fetishization
of the foco.

We give enormous credit to Allende for dying with a machine gun in his
hand defending the Popular Front but politically he helped create the
conditions in which Pinochet came to power.

We read and reread Trotsky's writings but understand (at least some of
us anyhow) that the Fourth International was a sectarian mistake.

Revolutionary politics has to avoid nostalgia at all costs or to put it
in the words of Karl Marx, we need the ruthless criticism of everything
that exists including our own history.

The bourgeoisie has the guns and the money, but we rely on our class
analysis which can serve as a scalpel in struggle. But clutching to one
outmoded idea or another only serves to thwart our ultimate goal.