[Marxism] Charged with espionage!?!?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 9 07:13:03 MST 2009

Iran charges three detained Americans with espionage
Reuters
Monday, November 9, 2009 8:44 AM

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has charged three detained U.S. citizens
with espionage, the official IRNA news agency quoted a judiciary
official as saying on Monday.

"The three are charged with espionage. Investigations continue
into the three detained Americans in Iran," Tehran general
prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi said.

The three were held after they strayed into Iran from northern
Iraq at the end of July.

The three, SHANE BAUER, 27, SARAH SHOURD, 31, and Josh Fattal, 27,
crossed into Iranian territory nearly two months ago. Their
families say they strayed across the border accidentally.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad suggested in an interview
with the American television network NBC in September that the
Americans' release might be linked to the release of Iranian
diplomats he said were being held by U.S. troops in Iraq.

Under Iran's Islamic sharia law, espionage is punishable by death.

----

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090622/bauer
Iraq's New Death Squad
By Shane Bauer

This article appeared in the June 22, 2009 edition of The Nation.
June 3, 2009

The light is fading from the dusty Baghdad sky as Hassan Mahsan
re-enacts what happened to his family last summer. We're standing
in the courtyard of his concrete-block house, his children are
watching us quietly and his wife is twirling large circles of
dough and slapping them against the inside walls of a roaring
oven. He walks over to his three-foot-tall daughter and grabs her
head like a melon. As she stands there, he gestures wildly behind
her, pretending to tie up her hands, then pretending to point a
rifle at her head. "They took the blindfold off me, pointed the
gun at her head and cocked it, saying, 'Either you tell us where
al-Zaydawi is, or we kill your daughter.'"

"They just marched into our house and took whatever they wanted,"
Hassan's mother says, peeking out the kitchen door. "I've never
seen anyone act like this."

----

 From Sarah Shourd's blog:

http://unfetteredeyes.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/plastered-with-gaza-posters/
Plastered with Gaza Posters
Posted in Uncategorized on May 3, 2009 by unfetteredeyes

It’s been more than 4 months since the Israeli Massacre in Gaza.
These pictures were taken in Syria and Lebanon where posters,
billboards and photographs like these are a backdrop to daily
life. While for the rest of the world the humanitarian crisis in
Gaza is old news,  in the cities of Damascus, Allepo, Shatilla
people’s grief and rage has yet to abate.

----

 From Josh Hattal's blog:

http://joshfattal.wordpress.com/june-2009-the-amount-that-i-have-is-the-amount-that-i-owe/

I received the most exciting, synchronistic email the other day
from a friend telling me about Land Reform in America. Looking at
the subject line, I thought perhaps it was an April Fools joke. I
opened the “body” of the email and their she lay, land reform
American style. It was synchronistic because I had just spent a
night at a beautiful manor outside of Lisbon. Apple, citrus,
olive, plum trees, stone terraces, multiple springs, and
waterworks accompanied a squatting community of about 10 people.
They were neighbors to “the ambassador” but nobody seemed to mind,
the potential is impressive. Now they have rocket stove technology.

As if that project was not beyond the means of those squatters,
the non-profit in town took a field trip to the edge of town.
Before the “carnation revolution” in Portugal (1974), a family
fled. Forty years later, three cottages, two five-story hotels and
one Olympic sized tilapia trout pond and acreage of forest is
being negotiated with the landlord at give-away rates. Of the six
interested visitors from the non-profit, the three women said “no
way”, and the three men “hell yeah”. It would require years or
millions of dollars of clean up and renovation for it to be
usable. It makes the lodge area of Aprovecho look like a
government office.