[Marxism] How the Stupak Amendment Radically Undermines Abortion Rights

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Nov 10 07:11:40 MST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:49 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> How the Stupak Amendment Radically Undermines Abortion Rights
> By Rachel Morris, Mother Jones Online
> Posted on November 10, 2009, Printed on November 10, 2009
> http://www.alternet.org/story/143849/
>
> Will health care reform come at the expense of abortion rights?
> The Democrats’ historic health care bill squeaked through the
> House on Saturday only after pro-life forces scored a major
> victory. Despite months of wrangling over the public option and
> the price tag, in the end the legislation’s fate turned on an
> eleventh-hour push by conservative Democrats to broaden the bill's
> existing limits on government funding of abortion, in the form of
> an amendment authored by Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.)...

Now this is what is really notable: simply by *abstaining* on Stupak
the Repugnicons would have killed the bill.  Why didn't they?
Because, I suggest, the word came down from the health-insurance
industry lobbyists that the huge subsidies and captive consumers make
this a good bill--for them.  Only Kucinich among the Dumbocrats seems
to have got the message--and voted NO!

Shane Mage