[Marxism] HELP!

Richard Fidler rfidler_8 at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 11 13:23:40 MST 2009

Trotsky alleges (quoting someone else) that Marx said it, but doesn't
provide a direct quote:

"The revolt of Kornilov gave a powerful impetus to the radicalization
of the masses. Slutsky has recalled upon this theme a word of Marx: a
revolution needs from time to time the whip of the
counter-revolution.... "
http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1930/hrr/ch35.htm.

As Michael Lebowitz indicates, it is certainly a favourite expression
of comrades from the Ted Grant brand of Trotskyism -- both the
Militant tendency and the Alan Woods group, as a google search will
indicate.

Richard