[Marxism] A Hundred Cities Against Escalation as Obama Announces It

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:51:38 MST 2009

 **

****

**

A Hundred Cities Against Escalation as the President Announces It

By Robert Naiman

<http://m1e.net/c?66793598-96MTygC07Fcw.%404776247-p922ZYhFq3iCo>

 Recent press speculation suggests at least even odds that sometime in
November, President Obama will give a speech announcing that he intends to
send tens of thousands of more U.S. troops to Afghanistan in 2010. Not a
temporary "surge," but a permanent escalation. While certainly it's good
news - at least temporarily - that AP is reporting that President Obama
"won't accept any of the Afghanistan war options before him without
changes," and that the Washington Post is reporting that U.S. Ambassador to
Afghanistan Karl Eikenberry is lobbying strongly sending more troops, note
that AP goes on to say:

"Obama is still expected to send in more troops to bolster a deteriorating
war effort. He remains close to announcing his revamped war strategy -
troops are just one component - and probably will do so shortly after he
returns from a trip to Asia that ends Nov. 19."

I wouldn't for a moment suggest that anyone concede the inevitability
of AP's prediction. Clearly, there is considerable friction and chaos in the
system right now; each day that passes without Obama announcing more troops
is an opportunity for new developments, such as the leak of Ambassador
Eikenberry's dissent. Each day that passes is an opportunity for Members of
Congress like Eric Massa and Alan Grayson and anti-war Afghanistan vets
like Rick Reyes and Brock McIntosh to speak out against the war, for
Americans across the country to call Members of Congress and urge them to
speak out now, before the President announces his decision.

But, in addition to continuing to call on Americans to pressure Washington
now, we also need to plan for the contingency that these current efforts
will fail, which means starting to mobilize people against the war
supplemental to pay for the planned escalation; and if making and
publicizing future plans could affect the present debate, we should do it.

If people in a hundred cities and towns across America announced in advance
that on the day of the President's speech, they will organize a local
demonstration at their Representative's office or some other convenient
location, and that they will reach out to local news media to communicate
that, in order to try to get reports of their local demonstration into local
media into the same news cycle as the President's speech, might that make a
difference to the President's decision?

I think it might. I think it's doable, and that the President's decision
will likely have such lasting consequences that I think it's worth trying.

full --    http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/401<http://m1e.net/c?66793598-96MTygC07Fcw.%404776247-p922ZYhFq3iCo>