[Marxism] Energy and El Niño, Venezuela and Colombia

Rod Holt rholt at planeteria.net
Thu Nov 12 14:32:03 MST 2009

Capacity limits are likely to be in local distribution overload and
not in the transmission lines. A transmission line carrying 4 times
its design rating could easily dissipate the extra power lost without
damage, but it would be  totally uneconomic. In contrast, a
transformer carrying 4 times its rated capacity would explode.
Up-grading distribution transformers is very expensive these days.
I guess that the big problem lies with the original designs which
favored low initial cost. Having designed transformers for years,
I'll say that I can give you almost anything you want, for a given
output power, a small cheap transformer running at 60 percent
efficiency (blistering hot) or an fancy 95 percent one costing 10
times more and weighing 5 times as much. For power companies, they
simply make a tradeoff  for their minimum total cost.
			--rod