[Marxism] Anvil

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 14 12:06:22 MST 2009

If I tell you that one of the best movies in 2009 was a documentary that
followed a couple of 50-year-old heavy metal musicians from Canada on a
depressing, poorly attended European tour, your first reaction might be
to write this off to Proyect’s idiosyncratic tastes. But I am not the
only one that feels this way. The New Yorker’s Anthony Lane wrote:

	The most stirring release of the year thus far is a documentary. No
surprise in that, given the current state of feature films, or in the
fact that “Anvil! The Story of Anvil” is a documentary about a
heavy-metal band. But this film is about a failed heavy-metal band,
which sounds about as purposeful as a vegan shark.

If this documentary sounds a bit like the mockumentary “Spinal Tap” at
first blush, that perception is only heightened when you discover that
the drummer is named Robb Reiner, separated by only one letter from
“Spinal Tap” director Rob Reiner. Even though there are a number of
funny scenes in “Anvil”, the name of the film taken from the band’s
name, this is not a comedy. It is about the Quixotic attempt of drummer
Reiner and lead singer Steve “Lips” Kudlow to make it big in the world
of arena rock.

read full review: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/anvil/