[Marxism] Brutal Murder of Gay Man in Puerto Rico

Adam Richmond adambrichmond at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 15:20:32 MST 2009

Please help get the word out on this....U.S. media hasn't picked this up yet.
Gay Puerto Rican Teen Decapitated, Dismembered, and Burned

Over
the weekend the brutalized body of gay teen George Steven Lopez Mercado
was found by the side of a road in Puerto Rico. The police investigator
suggested that he deserved what he got because of the "type of
lifestyle" he was leading.

 According to an iReport by Chrisopher Pagan:
"On November 14 the body of a gay 19 year old was found a few miles
away from the town in which he was residing in called Caguas. He was a
very well known person in the gay community of Puerto Rico, and very
loved. He was found on the site of an isolated road in the city of
Cayey, he was partially burned, decapitated, and dismembered, both
arms, both legs, and the torso. This has caused a huge reaction from
the gay community here, but its a difficult situation. Never in the
history of Puerto Rico has a murder been classified as a hate crime.
Even though we have to follow federal mandates and laws, many of the
laws in which are passed in the USA such as Obama’s new bill, do not
always directly get practiced in Puerto Rico. The police agent that is
handling this case said on a public televised statement that 'people
who lead this type of lifestyle need to be aware that this will
happen'. As If the boy murdered Jorge Steven Lopez was asking to get
killed..."

 Here's a report on the murder (in Spanish) from PrimeraHora.com.
Said activist Pedro Julio Serrano: "It is inconceivable that the
investigating officer suggests that the victim deserved his fate, like
a woman deserves rape for wearing a short skirt. We demand condemnation
of this investigator and demand that Superintendente Figueroa Sancha
replace him with someone capable of investigating this case without
prejudice." (my translation, please suggest a better one if you can).
Links:
http://www.towleroad.com/2009/11/gay-puerto-rican-teen-decapitated-dismembered-and-burned.html
http://www.facebook.com/inbox/readmessage.php?t=1154152576535&f=1&e=-12#/group.php?gid=320548070102&ref=share