[Marxism] The Chinese Revolution (90 years ago)

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 17 07:45:45 MST 2009

It's a thin list because I am referring to examinations of this specific
period, and  examinations that directly take on the notion of "stages,"
"national democratic revolution"-- or whatever else you want to call it,
alliances with the "national" bourgeoisie, and the results of the
subordination of the workers' movement to the CCP.

Obviously there was a revolutionary movement, and moment, in China prior to
the Japanese invasion-- the Communist International was quite clear that
there was this revolutionary moment.  The ECCI identified Chiang Kai-Shek
and the KMT as the leaders of this revolution and ordered the subordination
of the CCP.

Those are facts, a difficult thing I know, for those who would rather not
assign responsibility for failure to something other than "mistakes,"  but
life, and history, are tough and demand a bit more rigor and a lot less
ideology.

If we were going to get into a deeper analysis of China, I have a whole
syllabus of books I would recommend, first and foremost being Huang's
studies of the peasant economy in China.

I have a copy of Bianco's book and intend to read it as soon as I finish
some work on railroads and the Mexican revolution.  Thanks for the other
sources.

I'll make you a deal-- you get Waistline to read my "thin list," and you
read Huang's studies, and in return I'll read every book on the list you
provided, including the one on Mao's political thought.  Deal?